Saturday 4 June 2011

LIM Week 18

Week 18 on Less is More and we're in week one of the "cycle" so it's a colour challenge and this time it's monochromatic which shouldn't be too much of a challenge, particularly after the last time round was "white on white" which I came to love after initially being terrified by it.  But today it just hasn't been happening for me.  I've felt a bit off all day so spent most of the morning just laying on the bed thinking of what to do and coming up with a big fat zero on the ideas front.  Not getting an entry up until mid-afternoon is very late for me....


After lunch I went back to the craft room and dug out a hero arts set of clear stamps which is full of flowers, butterflies and flourishes.  I selected 3 elements from it that I thought would work - a floral circle to colour, a dotty circle with a flourish, and a final flourish for a background.  Then I had to pick a colour.  I got a lovely prima pad from the show I went to last weekend which is all shades of pinks so I began with a flesh pink mottled sheet and stamped the dotty flourish with a richer pink ink - I like how inks change colour when stamped on coloured paper not white.  I picked a matching dotty paper from the pad with the same flesh coloured dots on a richer maroon background, cut a strip half the width of my card and stamped the flourish background in the same rich pink ink.  I stamped the final image a flower circle on white using a combo of the pink ink and black, then softly shaded the background with prisma pencils and blended to a soft pale finish.  The flowers were coloured with flesh tone pencils and a maroon for the leaves.  A little pink flesh stickles adds a bit a sparkle.  I decided to layer the circles off-centre for added interest. I then spent about 20 minutes deciding where to put the sentiment, which is from the same stamp set - I tried bottom right which looked OK, but not after I rounded the corners (I've started to put my sentiments on scrap so I can move them around the finished card as I've ruined so many putting them in the wrong place!) and centrally didn't work either under the image or on the bottom, so I plumped for the small space top right - what do you reckon?  Right decision?  I may not have left enough white space for a strictly CAS card (I'm sure Lady and Diva LIM will let me know!) but despite the complexity and difficulty in the thought process I think it's still quite clean and I'm really pleased with the finish results, particularly as I normally tend towards teals and greens as my preferred colour palette.

I've got to make a housewarming card, a 5 year old birthday and a sister birthday card today - hope the mojo comes back as I don't have time to spend 5 hours thinking about all of them!!!

See you later
Craftilicious

22 comments:

  1. Hello Tara, beautiful card, i love your stamp set, fantastic!!!, and the colour is so elegant, good job Tara.
    a hug from Palma de Mallorca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these colour tones, lovely. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how part of your flower overspills the circle. The choice of patterned papers make it seem a little busy, maybe that was why you were wondering if it was CAS enough.
    I think the sentiment is fine where it is and it's a really good idea to try it in a variety of places until you're satisfied. I tried that with my first attempt at this week's card and still got it wrong.
    Thanks so much Tara.
    Chrissie
    Lady LIM
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, love the colour and the ascending circles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card Tara. That DP is scrummy.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not alone in the struggle this week, but although it may have taken you longer than you wanted it's lovely all the same and it was worth waiting for. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the combo of pinks. I love seeing the wide range of interpretations of the LIM challenge. I find all of them so inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful creation dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shades of pink Tara
    I think it;s kinda CAS enough, maybe instead of the panel you could have had an overlapping larger circle
    But, its lovely, I like it!
    Thank you as always
    Diva LIM mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very striking and pretty..love those circles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the shades of pink here, its not fluffy pink but very elegant and stylish and elegant. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it Tara and I think the sentiment placement is perfect! Vx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tara, it's a beautiful card! Hope you got your mojo back in time to finish the other cards you needed!
    My card is HERE

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous design and mix of colours Tara.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely card, love the colour choice and I agree with Chrissie maybe without the paper.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab flower stamp and you've coloured it beautifully. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely card. I like the colors you have chosen and also where you placed the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! Great stamp and coloring! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips